Miso Aubergine has to be one of the most sensational dishes out there. So I urge you to try this one as I’m sure it will be an absolute crowd pleaser. The first time Mirjam got her hands on a really memorable Miso Glazed Aubergine was at Kurobuta a couple of years ago. Probably not gluten free but she had to try nonetheless.
Scored, smothered and baked in the marinade, the aubergine ‘meat’ will turn into a delicious sweet and buttery soft texture raging with flavour. This Japanese recipe makes for a healthy light mid week meal that you can serve with a side of steamed rice, noodles or simply by itself as a side dish. It doesn’t take long to make and can be kept in the fridge for left overs the following days. Garnish with some micro greens along with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C
2. Cut your aubergines in half and score the flesh quite deeply in a diamond pattern making sure not to cut through the skin.
3. Place them onto a pre-lined baking dish and bake them in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes take the aubergine out of the oven and brush around 1 tablespoon of the marinade on top of each halve. Distribute evenly ensuring the entire aubergine is covered.
5. Place the glazed aubergines back in the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes until golden brown.
6. Garnish with spring onions, sesame seeds and serve with a side of rice or steamed fish.